Thursday, September 13, 2018

Misc. Musings: Fall 2018 Edition

Save-A-Lot had their annual end of summer sale and clearanced these ice cube trays, they are identical to the 1977 side by side yellow fridge trays. So, for my $1.05 each I snagged a few sets to nostalgically stage my own fridge. 


 I am in the middle of renovating the house thats lived in storage since I bought it a few years ago. The posts were terribly damaged in shipment due to poor packaging, they kind of remind me of shoe string fries here. Anyhow, I sat one night while watching TV putting it all back together, I even utilized the bag of pieces I had from other renovations. I was able to reconstruct quite a lot, not all, and was left with very little unusable pieces, this is my third or fourth time making post covers from the remnants this badly damaged set, there is an art to it and learning curve, I was better at it this last go round than before, taping techniques improved, blending post cover strips from other post covers nesting the curved edges was increased as it works and is better than not matching at all, in some cases the post is almost half tape, but I used good quality thick Scotch box tape and it really helped with rigidity. It will still take a ton of spray paint to finish these, but I have nearly a complete set from these yellow shards.

Here is a "Frankenstein" post cover made up from at least 3 different ones, nesting the curved corners really helps. Once painted, the thick tape will be nearly undetectable. You'll be pleased with the results and the satisfaction of saving another set of corner covers from the rubbish heap.


This is what your complete set of post covers should look like:
Also, this week while I was crafting I took this pic, if you are getting into custom paint jobs and improving stuff, it might be worthwhile to invest in one of those magnifying glass stands with the clips to hold small items, I really used mine this week:

In the search for a more "Mod" retro 70s look, I wanted a hanging egg basket chair, since an affordable 1/6 scale one was unavailable on ebay I made my own using about 20 cents worth of thermostat wire. Not too shabby for my first pass at this.


This house looks so familiar...

2019-2020 Packaging inspired by the 70's dream house. I think it's time they reissued it or at least made a NICE modern version of it for today's adult collectors. 

Another local southern California home circa 1980 no doubt the inspiration to our Mattel home. 
I'm not sure what I am looking at, is it a Bazaar/rummage sale, school play room, museum or private collection?? 

As I was driving, I saw in someones yard a big outdoor plastic playhouse that resemebled our beloved A Frame. It had a cream colored base with large openings for the windows, and an asymetrical orange colored roof with simulated Spanish barrel tile effect. Wish I could have snapped a pic, but I am sure it is online someplace. I just dont know the name of it or where it was sold. Here is the original bump out, it's not a closet, it's a toilet room before someone invented plumbing, but it sure reminds me of the home's posterior.

No comments:

Post a Comment