Friday, January 13, 2012

Renovation: Post Covers: Part Une

Step One: Arrival of said shattered, battered, rusty, crusty, musty, dusty, faded and otherwise estranged and not speaking posts (that ALOT of ebay sellers throw away in the trash because they think that no one will want them. =-( Make sure they are clean. 


 For step 2 tape all the cracks, rough edges and shards  together using preferably matte finish scotch tape. Go end to end whenever possible for greater continuity. 
Step 3: you can prime but since you are going from light beige to white its technically optional.  Take your time and do as many coats as necessary. 
Finished product, when done they are as white and complete as humanly possible.  Definitely a value adder. You can also make whats missing from white poster board from the dollar store. 
This is what the bottom of the box that arrives from 'ebay land' looks like. 

Ah, a match. there is hope! 

Laid out like a paleontologist's table of dinosaur bones. 
1978 Mattel A Frame Barbie Dream Doll House Red roof yellow floors mod groovy 1970s 1980s custom OOAK 

10 comments:

  1. circlecityvegan: Thanks alot, I have a whole stack of these. It's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel like a forensic anthropologist putting bones back together! Its a nice change of pace for the renovation, but you really gotta love these houses to devote so much time into the minutia of a project like this. Glad this post is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other method you might consider is to cover the outside of the restored post with thin self-adhesive vinyl, to help conceal the cracks from the outside and to give another layer of strength. You could even mask some missing voids by filling them in with scrap pieces of post material cut to the general size and shape. The vinyl outside could be spray painted for an consistent finish. :) I haven't tried this myself, having no real need to at this point, but I think it could work. By the way, I have some extra bits and bobs from my two Dream House projects, since I'm not planning on doing another Dream House, I thought I could send them to you to add to your library. Would you be interested in them? It's just a few post covers and one of the side roof sections, and I think a couple of other small bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Siansonea. Those are great suggestions I will definitely try out and post photos. Care to email me a photo and price of what you want to get rid of? I am at midtowndude03@aol.com Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a very helpful [post. i always throw them away. i feel like they are so brittle i cant do anything with them. good luck to anyone who tries this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it, I am super OCD and have a lot of time on my hands but understandably this level of renovation is not possible for most due to the time involved, plus I think replacement out of paperboard is much faster and easier (havent tried it yet, just going on a hunch). Its been suggested to use white contact paper for a smoother finish which also sounds like a great idea for this part of the reno. Good luck to all those who painstakingly try these techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone!!! I am so glad that the blog is still active! Thank you bloghost! I just won a pink Aframe with hot pink windows. I got so excited, but now realizing it is missing the closet, house doors, 2nd floor planters, balcony, and some windows. I know I have a research project ahead of me, but hoping posts are intact, perhaps I'll be lucky? Already know I must rub out some of the floor stains. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That same thing happened to me when I (re) bought my first A Frame about 5 years ago. It inspired me to scour for each and every part and keep upgrading the condition of mine piece by piece. So, after about 5 A Frames, you have a truly special one due to all the great, minty parts.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much, this is the critical piece of info I was looking for on your site. The darn post covers are so easy to shatter. I like your ideas and now I feel more confident it is not a lost cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! It is definitely a labor of love, but if you are crafty and enjoy the process it is rewarding in the end.

      Delete