Thursday, September 13, 2018

From Your Local Neighborhood Michael's

This week, I had time to peruse all store aisles while looking for polymer clay. I found this interesting section of plastic panels/sheets. There are all kinds, corrugated, flat, clear and translucent. One could fabricate many things with these sheets. Perhaps wall panels to fill in the openings, translucent sky light panels, frosted panel when the closet is missing, walls with door cut outs to separate bedrooms, kitchen from living area? endless possibilities here. 
For the clear clay, if you had the pasta clay roller machine, replacement windows could be made, fashioning the yellow trim from the auto tape I posted about earlier. 



 Here is yellow polymer clay, with the pasta roller machine, new doors could be made in any way you want them, solid, like the originals, or solid with the texture/pattern imprinted on them before baking in the oven. Maybe one day I will try this out. I am thinking it is way too time intensive to sell for profit, but a nice alternative to factory original, and if one is on a tight budget and cannot afford to have a compete house, just buy the old shell for $60-$100 and make all the missing pieces this way.


In the spirit of being crafty, I bought a couple of translucent blue storage bins at (you guessed it), to fabricate custom replacement doors for the 1978 blue Dream furniture China hutch. if yours are missing and you don't want to invest in originals, then this is a great in the meantime solution.


 I did not bother adding handles because I didn't think it was worth it.


 Speaking of being crafty, I am playing with the idea of closing in the house (temporarily) to see what it looks like solid, here I closed in the windows with yellow dollar store poster board.


Not too shabby... 

1 comment:

  1. I am in the midst of making over my 1985 dream house for my daughter. It is my hands down favorite toy from my childhood. I’m so excited! I’ve taken it apart and started spray painting the white sections. My question is how do you get the flower planters off the second floor? I got the bottom level ones off easily but I’m scared I’m going to break the roof trying to pop these off. Any tips? Thanks for this amazing blog. I’ve been reading it since last weekend when my parents dropped off my old house to me.

    ReplyDelete