Tuesday, July 10, 2018

More Musings and Observations on the Architect's Inspiration


Generally, how I describe the house is "long sloped roof line, often asymmetrical with a 'broken gable/shed roof design', front facing gable, 1970s suburban house with balcony, diagonal slats". Here are some design elements present in Barbie's 1970s and 1980s Dream Doll House.





This one just needs red trim and yellow front doors. 

 Great artist rendering here.

 This is how I imagine the house to be theoretically decorated.

 Groovy!
here are the mysterious diagonal slats, so often featured in 70s granola houses, often, the living room accent wall was slats (I have seen them coming back into style now).



This one is right near my house, tons of 1970's Spanish contemporary single family homes in the area. Common are the dramatic cathedral ceilings, Spanish tile roofs, white or cream stucco and a front piazza.






I have never seen an egg shaped BBQ, but I have seen this before, an egg shaped TV, maybe this is what the 1980 BBQ designer saw for his or her inspiration.


Congratulations for scrolling all the way to the bottom, here is the popcorn picture for you, the real life green desk from the 1978 Dream Furniture line, featured on season 3 of Dynasty in Alexis' Denver condo. Luckily, we can just barely see it beyond her yuge shoulder pads.

This reminds me of the 1980 BBQ. Recent craigslist posting for a table.

This hotel was recently renovated, and as most renovations on vintage mod stuff go, white and bright garish colors transform to black, chrome and glass, a newer sleeker look. This circle within squares pattern is reminiscent of the flower box pattern and side wall of the 1980 pool set. 

I know Ive seen those windows before somewhere! Here, Elvis sits with his mother and a friend. Is he throwing shade on Gladys? 

Cary Grant's southwest home. 
So, the green slumpy, bean bag chairs of the 1977 Dream Furniture line that I have never liked, really did exist, here they are in beige in a high end consignment store, here in California. 

Small local Mom & Pop shop, similar lines, just needs to be white! 

In Sacramento, just needs to be white! Nature the diagonal slats over the garage that should of course been the flat, modern, non paneled type. with of course a mod light fixture, not Mediteranean style!! 


Here's a condo building in the SE. I noticed the classic A Frame lines immediately, here seen painted in late 70's early 80's natural neutral earth tones. Notice the diagonal slat balcony railings and box shaped bump out staircase, small rectilinear windows and full foliage surrounding. 



                   A Mid Mod Episcopalian retirement community, loving the atrium style staircase. 

How fantastic is this ocean view from the master bedroom? Here, you can visually discern the three house sections where the vertical studs bookend the glass doors. This is my favorite picture I have ever  seen of the architect's inspiration for the house. 


I think this is an artist's conception of how people snap off the wall pilar posts to make themselves an overly large cluster pile o'house, notice the mis-matched yelllow and pink:
The Palm Springs treatment:
I am sure this house exists out there somewhere to this day, I'm hoping to get lucky enough to find one like it next time I buy a real home:
Imagine how fun the magazine cover below was when it first came out. How light, modern and fun was a house like this? It boggles the mind this level of coolness and modernity is now 70 years old! 

This house probably used to be immaculate. Of course like with any property, the wrong owners will ruin it as we can see with the overgrown flora, late 1980's green, unstained or painted railing, dilapidated hot tub, and lack of any style or decor anywhere to be seen. It is wooded, and so would be my dream home in real life. =-/ 


I'm sure this one used to be immaculate when it was new, also. Now, with the ravages of time and poor taste, it languishes. Overgrown, a strange, unsafe balcony redo, and lack of any decor or stylistic touches, this home now rots in the woods. Shame, it has so much potential. 



Just needs a balcony and some plantar boxes. =-) 


2 comments:

  1. I’ve recently gone back to my childhood love of Barbies and probably only natural that I know want a house for them. I never had a house for Barbie growing up, but I can afford one now. I found someone selling not one but two houses that I hope to refurbish and glam up. A yellow house and a pink house so I really need to get them to match or not!? Build a McAframe? I know you are not a fan of the break up the structure beam so I will keep that in mind! Side by side houses? That could be fun. Anyway, I really wanting to ask you about the Spanish contemporary style that was mentioned above. I think that’s the look I want. My California house has this look and it would be cool to have the dream house mini me- All white with brown/back trim and a Spanish terracota roof. Have you ever seen this done? I found a dollhouse building site that sells sheets. https://www.miniatures.com/Spanish-Barrel-Tile-Roofing-Sheet-P27253.aspx
    But with all the “sky lights”, I’m a little worried it might look odd. What do think? Should I go for it or just spray paint the roof a dark terracota for a similar effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Mery. It seems you've given this a lot of thought and that's great. These homes get rarer by the year, so thoughtful consideration of what to do with an old, faded home is important. Since the original roof is somewhat terra cotta, it would take a repaint of anything in the terra cotta family well, if you find whatever color you choose not working, you'll need to first apply a light colored primer as a base (also described in reliant posts here). You could paint the white roof frames brown to look like wood beams, and the walls cream/tan (just make sure they are completely dust free, cleaning described in detail in a restoration post on here just enter key words in search box to locate). I think the Spanish tile roof sheets are scaled for smaller homes, but if you are not satisfied with the look of the original roof tile it could be an option. Aside from that you can fill in the house with lots of cactus or Mediteranean mini plants and decor to finish the effect. However, I would not recommend breaking off any wall posts to make a custom house. Since these homes come in 3 pieces plus the patio triangles, they are already designed to be customizable in layout and display. Thus, you can always keep rearranging them when you re ready for a fresh look. Once broken it’s been modified to a specific design that's it. Hope this helps in your design. =-)

      Delete