Thursday, July 12, 2018

Vintage, First Hand Memory of the 1970s and 1980s Barbie Dream A Frame Doll House

Picture it, Georgia, 2001. In my mid 20's, I was with my elderly mom visiting her friend in the suburbs of Atlanta. We had gone out to lunch and on the way back to the friend's house, as I was riding in the back seat, I looked out the car window and saw in a parking lot one of those donation drop off metal containers/hoppers where people leave clothes and other household items. It had been awhile since they had done a pick up and it was overflowing with stuff, at the bottom of the pile, sitting next to the container was an A frame house, old and dirty. My heart raced, I was too embarrassed to speak up and ask her to pull over so I could have it, but the waste of just driving on and not picking up a free A frame house was too much. I directed her attention to it (as she had young grand daughters) and said, look a free doll house. She said, "Not interested, just another thing I'd have to clean". The light turned green and off we went. I am sure the charity that picks up that location eventually had a volunteer snag it for a close to nothing, or sold it at a store for $20.

I did recently watch a youtube video where somebody was driving and saw one beside a house and she knocked on the door, they sold it to her for $20, so you never know! I still scan the streets on garbage day just hoping beyond chance that I will luck out one day and snag one.





No comments:

Post a Comment