Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Make Replacement Windows and Glass Doors Using This:

 Ever wanted to make affordable window replacements for your renovation restoration project? How about filling in those big empty skylights with skylight 'glass'? Of, you could make your own floor to ceiling glass walls. As I was shopping at my local big box home improvement store, Home Depot, I noticed these plexiglass sheet in varying sizes near the lumber aisle. Finally, you can obtain the material inexpensively to fully customize your 1978 A Frame DreamHouse.  



As you can see it's not expensive and is readily available in different size sheets. Not only can you use this as faux glass, you could frost it with basic plain window frosting, or any of the faux stained glass appliqués they have now in the bathroom aisle for $24 a roll. 

So, while my A frame is currently in storage, when I do get it out again and set up, this is definitely going to be my next project. I will: fill in the skylights, add window glass to my 4th wall made from foam board and back the front doors with this so they are like the real life storm doors for real houses plus fill in the back doors window opening. 

I need to look up how to cut these, but I am guessing it is with a table saw after taping the cut line to avoid chipping. Then sand the edges as needed. Most likely, a simple model or airplane glue will suffice to secure into place. For replacement windows, I would use the yellow auto tape in the car aisle or Amazon, I outlined in an earlier post to create the yellow frame edges for the windows or rear glass doors. For hinges, I would either tape into place, or if you are dexterous, use the smallest drip bit and drill tiny holes in the correct spot to create the hinge peg holes as found on the original windows. For the for pegs, you could drill the holes then fill with a small peg like I did in the closet door repair post. Use search terms in the search box on this page to quickly find posts mentioned. Good luck with it. =-) 

Some dollar stores now carry yellow contact paper which could be used to make the edges yellow.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you know where I can get the clear orange cookware for the dreamhouse oven? Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve worked with these before. There is a special knife that is used to score along the marked line. Then you bend it, and it snaps apart. Wear protective eyewear. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve worked with these before. There is a special knife that is used to score along the marked line. Then you bend it, and it snaps apart. Wear protective eyewear. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve worked with these before. There is a special knife that is used to score along the marked line. Then you bend it, and it snaps apart. Wear protective eyewear. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tip!

    RE Orange cookware: just scour ebay under "barbie kitchen accessories cookware pots pans dishes" and you'll eventually find some pieces, you'll get a mixed back of everything you can part out and sell to pay for the stuff you keep.

    ReplyDelete