Sunday, July 1, 2018

Affordable Housing : Where and How to get a decent house for under $300?

Even though I usually am not looking to buy yet another house, I occasionally peruse ebay for a good deal anyway. While most homes are 200-$450, this one expired at less than $100, it has the PATIO TRIANGLES and some furniture, and still no takers, Scratching my head, but you'll see in the title, they did not label it the correct way, maybe that's why no one bought it, titles should always say, " 1978 1979 Barbie A Frame Dream House 1970's" for best exposure. Evidently, they did not turn over the house and see the dates on the bottom of no less than 6 large pieces. Also note the wet patio around it, presumably from it being freshly hosed off after decades in storage, remember never to hose off as that will rust out the screws, and not to drag the house along concrete as that will scratch the bottom floor pieces.

I was going to buy this, but the only thing I can do with it is restore and sell it, and that takes a lot of work and bout a week of my time and probably $20 worth of material, I would want at least $100 for my time and trouble, and it would not sell for over $200, thus its only worth refurbishing these if its for you to enjoy, but there is no money in it. Currently, I have my 100% complete and restored one, a spare one that needs remodeling (in storage) and so thats plenty for me.

Notice the very different titles, or key search terms that are used, one even read 'dram house' so cast a wide a net as possible, I usually search 'barbie house' first, and then 1970s, then 1978, then dream house (which can be typed as 1 or two words) and so on. Your sleuthing skills will be put to the test and rewarded handsomely. 





and you could always get a house for free this way:
UPDATE: 2023 Inflation has hit the Barbie DreamHouse market, however, deals can still be found for the diligent. Keep checking your local Facebook Marketplace listings, usually under just the terms" barbie doll house" (or dollhouse). I see them several times per month and in watching them have noticed they are slow to sell, nearly always incomplete and or dirty. The price is right however, the most incomplete with nearly no doors or windows averages around $50, I just saw a complete pink one go for $75, some are around $100-$150 but I am sure it's negotiable. Here's another one from this week:
Now, in 2023, these UN-renovated, incomplete, dirty houses go for upwards of $500-$600+ and fewer and fewer even offer shipping, check out these latest outrageous prices:
Your best bet truly is to scour Facebook Marketplace, and maybe yard sales and Craigslist, be patient, it will pay off, several times a month in my area I see generally in good shape homes go for $25-$150 some with patio triangles like these gems in the wild:
Here's another diamond in the rough, a complete with patio triangles house left in a hot, muggy, buggy old shed in the backyard for 30-40 years, but the price is a fraction of Feebay:
These deals appear nearly weekly, so you have to be diligent but it pays off if you need a house or parts:




And more recently on FB, it's a bit of a drive, it definitely needs a restoration, but all the parts are there and the price is right: 


Notice the level of vintage grime: plan on spending a day properly cleaning this to get it all the way ready for play or display. 


March 2024: Facebook Marketplace:
Pretty typical of what the market is these days: old, dusty, faded, mostly complete, NOT renovated, so coated in a thick layer of dust, must, rust and crust, often for TOP dollar price. 

This one would clean up well if restored, but it still is missing some pieces and needs flower box restoration as well. 

I think I see the Super Star Traveler roof panel on the second floor right side. Sadly, I think the missing flower box and door/window pieces are probably still in a box, or attic/garage someplace with this home's owner, but they can't find it so here is where they get permanently separated, the loose pieces will eventually get found and the person won't know what they go to so will either get "tossed" or donated and then "tossed" In my 16 years of collecting and restoring these homes I find that if a person can't make money on items it is then considered garbage and thrown away to spend eternity in the landfill. =-/ 
PS: thanks for putting it on concrete and in the sun! 

Usually a few pop up throughout the week:
(sometimes the same seller, so ask for a bulk discount)




Some will have the manufacture date, some will not so you could save a general "barbie house search" and get more specific from there if too many results. This seller also did not use the search term "doll" in doll house phrase, so you have to be somewhat of a sleuth to get one before it's sold. The house above sold the day it was listed. Still in need of a Reno, but mostly complete with the patio triangles was a good deal. 


This is a good deal, still needs total resto, but it looks complete, plants are easy enough to find: 




2 comments:

  1. Several years ago I bought an incomplete yellow and white house at a yard sale for $20 (most of the house but no furniture). Last winter I found one section of the house that someone had set out for the garbage. I took that section apart and replaced some of the pieces on the whole house, but I don't know how to get the casement windows (I guess that's what you call them) off of the discard panel to replace them in the actual house. What do you suggest?
    As for the garbage picking, I was on my way to my mother's house and at one of the houses about a block away someone had set out the section plus a 2000s Barbie play dresser (which I didn't take). I joked later that my car yelled, "Barbie stuff in garbage!" and pulled over and stopped automatically. I was at an intersection and the drivers behind me were NOT happy when I pulled over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you have great luck in finding these houses! I don't really do yard sales, but that is where to find the best deals. Removing windows is always a dicey task. The best method I can figure out is to slowly and gently separate one hinge of the window from the peg of the window frame, the key here is to pull OUTWARD because there is a teeny tiny notch on the inside that looks like it is there to make install and de install easier. Pull STRAIGHT out, not at an angle as that is the direction of the notch. With longer windows, you can slightly bend the window, just not in the "case" of the small ones. Even so, I have broken the plastic around the tiny notches in at least one window since I always completely disassemble each house when renovating. Theoretically, you could hit it with a hair dryer to warm the parts up so they are more pliable, but I think the aforementioned technique will work. To repair broken hinges/notches, I am thinking of trying a drop of melted candle wax on the peg and the hinge and seeing if that tightens up the moving parts. Ideally, you want the ability to leave the windows partially open, that's how I display my house. Hope that helps. =-)

      Delete