Friday, May 7, 2010

Custom Repaints: Diff'rent Colors and a Home Made House













I am all for freshening up and subtle customizations on an old, worn out toy, but I cant stand behind these renovations. For starters, the 1982 Cottage version of the Mattell A Frame house is rare enough as it is, two it matches the A frame and needs no color change and three, there are enough Hannah Montana/Bratz/etc modern homes out there for those who want something 'new'. The pink one, I cant figure out how they moved the walls around, but thought it was interesting enough to include here. These were of course on feebay, I saw it on my weekly cottage hunt and was briefly intrigued, then dissapointed. The green and brown large 1978 House I can't figure out. The pictures aren't that great, and they marked it up for their 'improvements'. I can only hope that the windows were in such poor shape that spray painting them black was only a lateral movement. The yellow to green color change is not bad, but anything that is white should stay white, the only variables should be the terra cotta roof and yellow floors/doors/windows. Color me perplexed.



Grey and blue.







4 comments:

  1. What kind of paint did you use to change the color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regular hardware store spraypaint, just make sure to do it outside and that all the parts are completely dust free, if painting the floors or roofs a different color you will need to first prime them light/white so the new color will show. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any issues with chipping paint?

      Delete
    2. Hi, with the walls being spray painted white, no. For roofs and floors, I only painted one house green (see post), and I sold it, so not sure how it is holding up. If it did chip, keep the can for occasional touch up. As with any painting projects, 2+ thin coats is always best, prime first as needed.

      Delete