Friday, May 27, 2022

Real Life Examples of the Mattel 1978 A Frame Dream House: Summer 2022

Hello, devoted obsessives like me! I am now on the east coast in the Carolinas. While there is a plentitude of the California Dream home from where I moved from in Socal, even out here in any given city there are streets upon streets of groovy Brady-Bunch-esque homes to peruse, pervey and otherwise admire these 40+ year old gems, these moemnts in time that I do not believe we will see again as new construction. So, here they are:
There were many, many others, but this gives you an idea. When my friend asked me what years did I think these were from, in all my years as a realtor, and as a kid in the Dallas area in the early 80s, I would say 1976-1984, with a concentration between 78-82. By the mid 80s it was rounded arches, demilun paladian windows, Dutch gable roof lines, garage doors with the corners angled and the European styles that continued through the 90s and even now I see a 'story book' or Craftsman revival happening since people miss charm of houses of yesteryear. Many of these are repainted, some in original moody earth tones and some not so much, one is even black. Most of the yards were pretty well tended. The prices in this market are $600k-$800k depending on siting, square footage and condition, some are on a lake, golf course but mostly abut to woods.
Does this house look familiar? It should. It's the house from 1982's "E.T." film.
Vertical instead of diagonal wood slats, same balcony railing, red eave edges, and rectilinear window and door configuration. This classic still looks amazing after 60 years! Here are some great inspiration interior shots thanks to the ever helpful Pinterest:

If you do come to Charlotte, these are in the 'Raintree' neighborhood; all the homes are well laid out on rolling green, wooded hills with several lakes, wide roads and all is peaceful and quiet. The only offenders are some of the homes had newer updates like Home Depot Victorian style doors and craftsman stile porchlights indicating the homeowners don't at all get the whole point of the 'Mid-Mod' aesthetic and likley thought they were cold and needed 'charming up':
Being on larger wooded lots with long curving driveways helps accentuate the modern motif of these ultra groovy homes:

4 comments:

  1. Your Barbie houses want this truck parked in front of it. https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38138367/tacozilla-tacoma-camper-is-an-overlanding-home/
    I hope the link works. If not, you'll need to copy and paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, so cool! Love the retro colors and rounded shape of it, thanks for sharing! =-)

      Delete
  2. Hi ho! Just found this site the other day and I’m so thankful for it. I see that you’ve relocated to the “right coast” which is a bit of a shame for me, as I was looking for someone who could restore my old DreamHouse.

    I don’t really care how much it would cost, just that it would approached with care as it was a big part of my childhood and it’s a bit worse for wear after several moves. I don’t really have the time to devote to restoring it myself unfortunately.

    Any advice on someone in my area who I might look to for that would be appreciated. I live in the Central Valley in CA. My email is alfeist@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thanks for your comment, if you go to the search term box on this website there are probably dozens of posts on the 'how to' of renovating this dinosaur of a mini home. If the time aspect is overwhelming, break it into small phases: properly cleaning and preparing for repaint, painting/curing, shopping for missing parts and finally assembly. Good luck with it!

      Delete