Friday, July 13, 2018

Unicorn Sightings

They could still happen, one day you just might walk into your local thrift store or antique mall and there it is...

One time I responded to a Craigslist ad for shelving. It was nice store quality shelves, in an old woman's garage, she had liquidated her doll booth someplace, she had an enormous collection packed into this old ratty garage, lots of 70's stuff, Mego Cher, Jem and the 1980 pool play set, but alas no A Frame ( I did ask).




You'll see them at flea market booths now and then:
Goodwill: $30

And at estate sales: 



Seeing the 1978 barbie a frame dream house on Facebook is becoming a unicorn sighting since it is rarer and rarer these days. I think most of the attics, barns, basements and guest room closet finds are just about done with these days. Collector's like us are holding on to the one's we have and sadly so many are being broken down and painted to be something else entirely. Here is a recent facebook find: near complete, fading minimal, round trip drive under 2 hours and price very reasonable: 



If I was looking for a house, I would get one this way. You'll remember my nightmare ebay seller experiences from the past. This way what you see is what you get, no overseas claims department situations or mountain of garbage to sort through for small pieces or clean up afterwards. It would be difficult to replace mine since I have the custom one of a kind post cover parts that another collector had specially made that are better than the originals and will never turn yellow, I have polished mine with plastique restore finish so all the flat matte surfaces of the house shine like diamonds, and the window assortment is cherry picked from 8 houses worth of windows to get the best carat pane clearness and frame darkest yellow color clarity. Plus, the flower boxes have a ton of upgraded aquarium and specialty silk florals. So, I think the house I have managed to put together is a keeper for the long haul. I imagine it will be real special find in the 2060's when I do get ready to sell it along with everything else before moving into a retirement home. =-0 

A "FREE" (with patio triangles) house is a unicorn sighting. The catch: a 4-6 hour round trip into Appalachian country. But they do exist! Just needs a complete restoration but that should only take about a week and maybe 3 trips to the store. Now, where do you put this mammoth structure? This could be my neighbor, or on the street on garbage pick up day and I honestly have no place to put it. In fact, the one I have is going back into the closet to make room in the guest bedroom. Oy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment