Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Replacing and Upgrading the Front Lantern Light Fixtures


I have often thought about a better way of doing the front lights. This is especially true when they are not present. In an earlier post where I show cased my re-imagined house in shades of green, I made custom wood globe lamps very reminiscent of the 70s. I would like to use these at some point since, in the 70s there were many Mod houses that had over sized Spanish style wrought iron wall sconce fixtures and I think this would be a nice fit, especially if they are wired for electricity. Its not hard to do, all you need is to run the wire to a battery back concealed in the house someplace and voila! 

You can also light them up quite easily using small LED battery powered light strings from dollar store or amazon: 

Of course missing front lights presents an easy crafting solution. I have my original lanterns, but they are so small and washed out as they are the same color as the walls, so when I collect odd plastic pieces I try to figure out creative things I can do as alternatives for my collection. On this project I used 2 old cat toy balls, 2 medicine applicator tips, two electrical device factory plug covers (painted black) and some thin cardboard covered in shiny black contact paper, cut to size, glue, paint and there it is, two "new" one of a king mid century modern Globe light fixtures. 






1 comment: